Sunday, April 13, 2014

Eli is getting glasses

When Eli went for his four year check a few weeks ago he blew every thing out of the water.... except for the vision screening. At first the nurse said they would just re-screen him the next time he came in. I felt uneasy about that decision but I didn't say anything. However, the next day his doctor called and said they would like to go ahead and refer him the eye doctor.  I definitely think that some pediatricians can be too lax about things... I've had many kids that don't get early intervention for speech because their doctor says they will outgrow it. So I was very thankful that our pediatrician didn't 'wait' to see but went ahead and made a referral. I think our Mommy gut feelings have a lot of weight.

Eli was able to get an appointment right away at the eye doctor because of a cancellation. He did great during the eye exam and read the letters like a champ (well the one's he could see). He didn't even make much of a fuss getting the eye dilation drops in his eyes. He has a pretty bad astigmatism and he's near sighted as well. The doctor said he needs to wear his glasses full time. I was hoping he wouldn't get my eye sight because my vision is horrible. I got my glasses in 8th grade and I can definitely remember looking at the trees and saying, "Wow you can see the leaves." After we picked up Eli's new glasses, he looked up at the sky and said he could see airplane tracks!

I know it's going to be a challenge keeping the glasses from being broken, lost, etc.. because Eli's the wildest of my three children. So far, he's doing well and doesn't seem to mind wearing them. I think he looks adorable!


No comments:

Post a Comment