Thursday, August 29, 2013

Visiting Auntie

Last week I went to stay with my Aunt Jane in the hospital for a few days. Thankfully she's had someone with her almost every hour of her 13 day hospital stay (she went to rehab yesterday!). I drove the six hours to Georgia on Tuesday morning and arrived at the hospital around 5 that evening. She was glad to see me and I was equally glad to see her. She looked so good that she agreed for me to snap these two pictures! Coming from death a week ago I would say that's quite a recovery. She was in a lot of pain that night and I didn't get any sleep, but that was ok!

The next morning I went to grab some coffee and breakfast in the cafeteria and I had to wait in the ICU waiting room until shift change was over. I walked back into the unit with my coffee and phone and accidentally left my clutch sitting on the table beside me. I think I was so sleep deprived I was just out of it. When I realized it was missing and went back it was gone of course.

I was so distraught because I was six hours from home with no drivers license, no money, and I had a LOT of valuable information in my clutch. My social security card as well as Eli and Olivia's were all in there, along with multiple credit cards, 3 check books, gift cards, and cash. I started canceling accounts and Josh wired me money through a Western Union in order to have enough to eat, get gas and get home on Thursday.

Even though I knew not to carry my social security card I had it in there because several weeks ago I applied for a new job and thought I might need it. This opened my eyes to make sure that I know exactly what's in my wallet and not to carry anything I can't live without. Even now it makes me a bit nauseous to think about what all was in my wallet but if I put it in perspective; it's all replaceable. After a brief meltdown, I sucked it up and enjoyed the rest of my time with Aunt Jane.

I held her hand, rubbed her feet, moved her bed around, fed her, and washed off her face after she got sick. I know if my dad and grandmother were here they would be doing the same thing. When she felt like talking she told me stories of my childhood. One of her favorites was when she brought Uncle Richard home for the first time, I was around 3 and she said, "Summer, this is my baby," I said, "That's a big ole baby!" Her and Uncle have laughed about that story for many years.

Memories with your loved ones are things you keep forever and these are the irreplaceable!





3 comments:

  1. What a sweet, caring time to spend together. Thinking about you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a great person Summer! I love reading your blog.
    I have also been thinking about your family!

    ReplyDelete