Monday, December 2, 2013

Dear Olivia Jane

Aunt Jane wrote us letters before she died. She wrote to me, my sister, Olivia, Carter, Camden, Eli and Isaac. I'm going to share Olivia's because it is just so perfect.

October 17, 2013

My Dearest Olivia,

Already you have shown us what a fighter you are, what a dear tenacious little girl you are and I hope those traits are recognized as strengths. Please do not lose those characteristics and skills as you grow into a beautiful young woman. I like to think of myself as a fighter and tenacious as well. You are such a pretty little girl and that will open many doors for you, just remember as you are opening those doors to bring kindness and character with you in all that you do. I don't want  you growing up shallow or egomaniac or having to be a people pleaser. I want you to be an Olivia Jane person who sets her own goals and chooses her own path, not just seeking to be popular or to please those around you. 

I have one piece of jewelry that I am leaving you in care of your Aunt Audra and I hope this makes your 18th birthday special.

Walk to your own beat, taking in the fact hat you don't want to be a stepping stone on other people's toes. Figure out how to get where you are going without hurting others or making them feel unimportant. Be sure that who you meet on the way up that you are kind to them. None of us need to stay on top of others but to hold their hands and travel the rest of the distance together. 

I love your mother dearly and she's a terrific role model for you and your brothers. Listen to her, she will always have your best interests at heart. Learn many skills at each stage in your life. Learn to knit, crochet, to roller skate, to swim, to ride a bite, to cook and to sew, to pitch a tent, to love sleeping outdoors, to take good care of your pets, to keep your room clean and well organized, to love books, to write stories, to play the guitar and to fix things. In all that you do, be a hard worker.. you'll never regret it. 

It meant a lot to me that your mom named you Olivia Jane and that we share the same name. I will always be with you.

Don't wait for others to solve your problems, but give yourself a helping hand and learn to solve your problems yourself and know when to ask for help. Learning the timing of when to ask for help is a big strength, having to always do it yourself or alone does not always lead to success. I want you to be successful in all that you do. Most importantly I want you to be content with where you are and who you are. When I see your face in the pictures your mom sends me, I am at peace with the world. I love you dearly, more than you will ever know and I'll be watching over you.

Love,
Aunt Jane




3 comments: