Friday, July 18, 2014

Camping from Hell

We decided to take a family camping trip up to Carolina Hemlocks. It's a beautiful campground right on the South Toe river....nice camping spots and an area to tube down the river. We were prepared and went up early on Wednesday to find a camp spot and put up our tents (we knew the campground would be full if we waited until Friday). When we got there Friday evening we started dinner... steaks, fried potatoes and onions, roasted corn on the cob.. it was delicious. As we were finishing dinner it started to rain ,so we rapidly started putting stuff in containers and in the car so it wouldn't get wet. Everyone went to their tents to keep dry. Well it continued to rain except it got harder until it was like a torrential flood. Four to FIVE inches of rain pelted down, not without thunder and lightening. I kept praying we wouldn't get struck by a bolt of lightening in our tent with metal poles. The rain didn't let up until around 5am. There wasn't a dry spot anywhere. All the tents flooded and leaked and we were laying in pools of water. The rush of the river was so loud and so high it was above some of the trees and vegetation around.

We cooked breakfast and hung around until around 2:00 when it started to rain again and we called our camping trip- DONE! Isaac and Gabe of course wanted to stay but everyone else was ready to get out of there. We made it home and I've never been so thankful for my warm bed and dry house.

Usually I am all about camping. I like roughing it and don't mind the dirt, bugs, etc. However, camping in the rain is not fun. I would never survive on that show Naked and Afraid on TV.  Everything had to be washed when I got home so I spent the next several days washing blankets and drying out camping gear.

Our campsite

Josh and Olivia snuggled the next morning

Our niece, Allie

Paw-paw.. Josh's dad.  Josh's mom and dad spontaneously decided to join us and I'm sure they were wishing they stayed home. 

Gabe hanging out by the fire



After I washed all these I dried them on my balcony (the other side is full too) so I wouldn't burn up my dryer.

No comments:

Post a Comment