Friday, June 15, 2012

Toddler bed challenges

Okay, can it really be that awful. I mean it's the same blasted bed... without ONE rail!! We have been fighting Eli for 2 days now with this toddler bed. After he learned to spring out of the crib in point 2 seconds we took the rail off to transition to a toddler bed. Since the move I can't find the conversion kit to put the side rail up so right now it doesn't have a rail.

Night one:

We played up the whole "big boy bed" all day.  We both took him to bed.. we read books, played with his turtle toy, rubbed his back, laid in the bed with him, etc.. for 3 HOURS! He finally went to sleep. That night he woke up at 2 am screaming and I was upstairs with him from 2-4 am when I finally passed out on the floor beside his bed. Josh came in to get me at 5:30 because Olivia needed to be nursed.  I think I may have had 3 hours total sleep (not in a row) that night.

Day 2:

Exhausted toddler and a cranky mama = no fun! I tried to get him to nap around 10:45 because he was soooo incredibly tired. I took him upstairs, laid down with him on the bed, read books, loved on him, petted him, and tried to bribe him with something 'fun' when he woke up. Finally I shut the door (we put a child proof lock on his door knob) and watched him on the monitor for a while. He got quiet so I closed my eyes for a few minutes. When I opened them he was standing in the dresser drawer climbing on top of his dresser. I went upstairs and the child had reached the powder and lotion and preceded to plaster the rocking chair, crib and himself with the entire bottle of powder and lotion. At this point I am soo tired and out of patience. I tell him if he gets out of the bed again he is going to get a spanking. After two 'pops' on the leg he stays in his bed and goes to sleep. We also gave him positive reinforcement and by bragging on him and taking him to doing his favorite thing when he woke up... a four wheeler ride.

Night 2:

Yay! He sleeps through the night!

Day 3:
After taking an hour to go to sleep for his nap he finally gives it up!


I hope this continues to get easier!
Giving Mommy kisses goodnight
Here's your turtle Mommy
Success!

No comments:

Post a Comment