Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Aunt Elvira and the cemetery

My great-aunt, Elvira passed away this week. She was 94 and lived right beside my grandmother. My grandmother was the youngest of 5 girls and was the first of the sisters to pass away in 2009. There are now only two left, Aunt Lib and Aunt Helen. Aunt Lib is 96 and can walk up and down her basement stairs better than a 40 year old. She emails, walks, and is just an amazing lady. Aunt Helen is in good health as well.  All 5 sisters were/are remarkable women and I am thankful that I got to know them.



Aunt Elvira's service was at the Greenlee Cemetery, a family cemetery, where my dad and grandmother are buried. It was hard not to think about both of them as I attended the graveside service which was similar to my grandmothers'. Audra, Olivia and I walked over to their graves and no longer is there a mound of dirt on top... grass has already covered the ground in 2 short years. In ways it seems like we were just there.. mourning my grandmother's death and then my dad's. As I held Olivia in my arms and stared at his grave I thought about how much I would love to wrap my arms around Daddy's neck and kiss my Bubba's wrinkled cheek. I would love for them to meet Olivia and Camden and see how much the boys have grown. It's hard to lose a parent at 30 and I'm sure other people would say at any age is tough. Time really does help...it has gotten easier... the raw hurt and grief doesn't come as often but I still miss them both like crazy!


I love this picture of Daddy. He wore these sun glasses all the time.



Daddy at Audra's wedding


Daddy and Bubba (my grandmother) at my wedding


1 comment: