Friday, May 18, 2012

The latest update on Aunt Jane

This is her post from Caring Bridge,..

The University of Alabama Dr. Estes was extremely nice and comforting. He had read all my reports before he saw me and I really appreciated that. What a gift. Here's basically what he said, "Frequent Surveillance is needed,meaning pet scans, but no chemotherapy at this time, , because chemo would weaken the bone marrow and should I have a reoccurrence of the sarcoma the 3rd round of chemo would weaken the bone marrow so much that I would be unable to fight infection. He supports the tumor study that Dr. Schnell is getting me into.

He gave me symptoms to look for if the cancer returns which is very helpful.

I have 2 types of cancer unfortunately. The lottery ticket I pulled is pretty tricky and pretty aggressive. They are carcinosarcoma and rhabdomyosarcoma. No tumor marker for these types of cancers work. We talked about experimental research studies, diet, exercise. The good news is that I'm cancer free at this time, that recoveries from both surgeries and chemotherapy have been phenomenal. Dr. Estes told me that if he had seen me on the street he would never have guessed that I've been this sick in a year because I look healthy.

So that's what I'm going for: exercising, healthy diet, volunteering, travel, I know the odds and I'm not waiting to do anything I want to for too long. I also hope to beat the odds with God's help and family and friends' prayers, and thoughtful doctors.

I'm tremendously grateful for the calls, cards, meals, prayers, everything. The smallest gesture touches my heart. Hugs are always appreciated.

Can't wait to travel, Richard is willing if I will just make up my mind where I want to go. First place is NC to see my girls' and their sweet children and their great Mama.

Of course my team of Richard and Judy went with me to Birmingham. Richard was a wonderful navigator and the hotel was right across from the university hospital. We walked to the appointment. Everthing went extremely well. Thank you God!



We are praying this cancer stays away!

No comments:

Post a Comment