Friday, July 20, 2012

Adios Passy

So I randomly decided on Tuesday afternoon that Eli should give up his pacifier... he is 28 months old you know!  I found two that he had almost chewed in half and 'helped' them out a little with the scissors. I told him we needed to throw them away because they were broke and he was big boy and didn't need them. He studied them for a while and then threw them away. That night he asked for his passy and I reminded him that he threw it away because it was broke. He exclaimed, "lets go to the grocery store and buy some more". It took me  a minute to come back with a reply but he did fine and went to bed without any tears. He did ask for it during nap time Wednesday and that night as well but after a reminder that they were broke and thrown away he went right to sleep. This was sooo much easier than I anticipated. If I knew he wasn't going to get upset I would have taken it away a long time ago.

However... the poor child started crying about his mouth hurting Tuesday as well. My Eli is not a crier. He can stub his toe (blood included), scrape his legs, bump his head and never shed a tear. He has a HIGH pain threshold. So when he cries I know he is hurt. The poor baby just clawed at his mouth and cried saying "it hurts, it hurts". I've been giving him tylenol every 4 hours for pain and we bought orajel to put on as well. I thought maybe he had bit his tongue. Last night we were able to see white sores beside his back molars on his jaws. This morning I took him to the doctor and he has Hand Foot Mouth. Of course since it's viral there is nothing we can do but treat the symptoms.. hopefully it won't last too much longer.


2 comments:

  1. he looks extremely ill, Summer ;)

    Good luck with the broken paci! I tried that with Jacob...cut it a little bit every day...he literally sucked on a nub like nothing had happened. Then we went cold turkey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha Elizabeth I know...extremely! Thanks, I think we are paci free now :) My child really does have clothes even though he's naked in most pics :)

    ReplyDelete