Thursday, July 26, 2012

So helpful

I think it's so important for my boys and girl to be able to take care of themselves as they grow up, as well as be helpful around the house. Isaac is very helpful... Eli not so much. These are a few of the things Isaac helps us do: he entertains Eli for us when needed, carries in groceries, makes beds, put his sheets on his bed, puts laundry in occasionally, vacuums, mops, dusts, empties the dishwasher and puts away dishes, as well as works out side (mulch banks, work on landscaping, water plants, move rock). Even though the dishes may not be put in the dishwasher exactly how I would or there are areas not vaccumed I  don't re-do the task. I don't go hunting for his dirty clothes; when he needs clothes washed he brings them downstairs and sometimes puts them in the washing machine. I will wash his sheets but he is responsible for putting them back on. When he does a slack job then he does it again until the job is right. I believe this teaches him responsibility as well as teaches him the skills he needs to be a functional adult.

Eli is 2 but these are some ways he helps at our house: he puts clothes in the washing machine (and then pushes the button), bring things to us, helps Daddy plant grass, likes to help vacuum, picks up things (with much prodding), and helps water the flowers. He likes to go bring me diapers and wipes for baby sissy and is getting better at following directions. Most of Eli's 'helping' makes more work for Mommy but it makes him happy.  I am very proud of Isaac because he also does this without complaining. Oh yes, we have days when there may be a frown or a minor gripe but for the most part when I ask him to do something he stops what he is doing and completes the task.



This is Isaac cooking supper for the first time. I sat in the kitchen and gave directions and he did it all by himself. I think he was pretty proud of himself!

No comments:

Post a Comment