Sunday, September 9, 2012

Ears, ears...

So you know when your pregnant or want to be pregnant and you see pregnant bellies everywhere... well that's the way it's been for me and ears lately. I seem to seek out ears where ever I am. For example at church last Sunday I saw several elderly people with hearing aids... some aids were grey colored to match grey hair,  and some were tan to match skin color. One man even had hearing aids that had no noticeable mold.

Olivia has been doing great with her 'hearing computers'. I think the term 'hearing computers' sounds much more friendly than 'hearing aid'.  A fellow speech pathologist that has a daughter with a hearing impairment gave me this idea; so we have been referring to Olivia's devices as hearing computers as well.  We try to wear them all waking hours of the day; however,  there are days (such as today when I accidentally left them sitting on my dresser) when we forget to put them in right away.  She hasn't tried to pull them out and other than being a bit wiggly when I put them in is tolerating them well.

Luckily her new molds came in the mail yesterday because the current ones are definitely getting too small. I was starting to hear feedback when she was wearing them.  With Josh's help we just trimmed the tubing ourselves so she could go ahead and wear her new molds. I think we did okay for our first tube trim. The left one looks a bit short but maybe it will be okay for a while.  This first pair of ear molds only lasted 6 weeks so I am sure we will be going through several pair.  I know this is weird but I saved this first set to put in her baby book!

Livi's therapy is going well. We are working with Hannah from REACH on Tuesday mornings and Kristin, the oral/deaf educator comes out for an hour every Wednesday.  Hannah is actually trying to find out how to help me become certified as an Auditory Verbal Therapist since we don't have very many in Western North Carolina. I am also going to NC AG Bell's conference in November which I need for continuing education credit as well as to learn more about hearing loss to help Olivia.


1 comment: