Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Potty training... Fail

So on September 20th Eli will be 2 1/2 years old officially... I thought 2 1/2 was a magic number. Well I thought wrong. Isaac was  2 1/2 when he was potty trained, my nephew Carter was 2 1/2 when he potty trained so I assumed Eli would be as well. We have been talking up the potty for months, watching Elmo's potty movie, trying to potty at bath time, and using the potty some. Today I said "Why not!", "Let's try intensive potty training today". We were seriously out of diapers so I didn't have to lie and I told Eli that we were out of diapers and going to use big boy underwear. Previously he has refused to wear them and begged for his diaper.

We had so much success... not! He peed in the floor, then he pooped right beside the potty, and peed in his underwear while in the car-seat waiting on Isaac to get off the bus (luckily I had put a plastic bag down- Score!). The little rascal said he wanted to pee in the bushes while waiting on the bus so I got him out (in the drizzle---that's why I decided to drive Isaac up the hill today) and he attempted to pee on the road, in the grass, on the bushes to no avail. Meanwhile Isaac's bus was approaching and Eli was running around with just his shirt on so I quickly whisk him in front of the car to hide his little winkie from all the boys and girls on the bus.

I am going to keep at it....we will be a Potty Master one way or another! Surely he won't be in diapers when he starts kindergarten. Any suggestion on potty training a STRONG-WILLED child? Isaac was so super easy.. it took less than a week and he was completely trained, even through the night. Eli is a different (but equally wonderful) individual.

2 comments:

  1. oooh, he sounds like a toughie. My two were night and day (as usual for them). With Jacob, I waited until right at 2 1/2...we went cold turkey. I did a modified version of the "three day method" (it's an e-book...I may still have it somewhere if you'd like it!). I took a potty in the car with us. I didn't take my eyes off of him for the first two days (with a newborn too!). All day long I said "don't forget to keep your undies dry." I stationed a potty in the kitchen (vinyl floor and nearby)...if he started to go...I said "uh oh...run run run to the potty!" Then the next day...I moved the potty to the bathroom and did "run run run to the potty!" again. He hardly had any accidents from the start...but STILL is not overnight trained...he pees almost immediately every time he falls asleep...crossing that bridge later ;)

    With Ava, I knew that we would only be using the "Ava method" because she's a bit more, um..."spirited" ;) We just went with the flow...literally. It took her quite a bit longer (but she was also younger). I let her wear pullups when we went places and only undies at home (pullup at night). She was fully potty trained at school- where they basically had her on a schedule- and peed like a puppy at home. But we didn't give up...and eventually the accidents cut down. I just bought LOTS of undies and since I was washing cloth diapers already...it wasn't much different. #2 was difficult b/c she had an aversion to going (due to a painful experience one time). Recently (KNOCK ON WOOD), it just seemed to click...she is able to hold her bladder for longer, has finally started telling me BEFORE she started going, and we've graduated to undies in public. I think we started with Ava in April because she actually wanted to wear undies- poor little 2nd child...I don't remember. She's FINALLY (KNOCK ON WOOD) got it down. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Elizabeth. We did much better today! Success in the potty x3, one outside pee pee, and 1 # 2 in the potty with no accidents. I did put the pull-up on for nap time and of course bedtime tonight. He goes to preschool tomorrow for 3 hours so I am a little anxious. Isn't funny how different two children can be! I went to Wallyworld and stocked up on undies!

    ReplyDelete